HISTORY OF BANGKA ISLAND
During the 17th Century, Hindu people from Siantan and Johor
of Malaysia inhabited Bangka Island. Subsequently it was occupied
by Sriwijaya Kingdom (686 AD) who was written "Wangka"
which means "Tin" on a stone, that's why Bangka Island
is also called "Tin Island", the stone was found in the
Western part of the island, near Kota Kapur, now the stone still
can be seen at the National Museum in Jakarta.
Bangka was ceded to Britain by sultan of Palembang in 1812, but
in 1814 it was exchanged with the Dutch for Cochin in India. The
Japanese from 1942 to 1945 occupied the island. It became part of
Indonesia independent in 1949. The island, together with neighboring
Belitung, was formerly part of South Sumatra province, but in 2000
the two islands became the new province of Bangka-Belitung. Bangka
is famous for two other events; the Banka Island Massacre in WWII
by the Japanese of Australian Nurses and as reputedly the setting
for the book "Lord Jim" by Joseph Conrad. Bangka is also
home to a number of Indonesians communist that has been under house
arrest since the 1960's and are not permitted to leave the island.