GENERAL CONDITION

BANGKA ISLAND BELITUNG ISLAND

 

THE HISTORY OF

BANGKA ISLAND BELITUNG ISLAND

 

INTERESTING PLACES

BANGKA ISLAND BELITUNG ISLAND

 

 

 

 

THE HISTORY OF BELITUNG ISLAND

As a part of the Nation archipelago, Belitung or also known as Biliton, was a part of Sriwijaya kingdom in 7th century and a part of Majapahit kingdom in 10th century. The latest rules before occupied by European, the island is a part of Palembang sultanate. There was small sultanate in this island, which is Balok sultanate in South and Sijuk sultanate in North. But the documents about these 2 sultanates are less. This area has valuable tin mines and worked chiefly by the Chinese labor. In 1812 British ceded Belitung but in 1824 the British recognized Dutch claims to Belitung. It was formerly known and called as Biliton. During Dutch occupation the tin mining industry was began. Most of Belitung residence worked in the tin mining industry and some of the workers emigrated from China. The mining industry is still continuing until now. In 1950 Belitung became a part of Indonesia and became one among 8 district in South Sumatra province with Palembang as the capital. The main city and port is stay at Tanjungpandan.

 

Copyright 20006 www.indonesia-tourism.com. All rights reserved, webdesign by Baligraph Graphic House