AGRICULTURE IN BROAD MEANING
A. Crops and plantation
Sub sectors of crops and plantation have good prospect to be development
are as follows:
- Corn with area potential more than
500,000 ha in Kendari and Muna region.
- Soybean plantation with area potential
of 10,000 ha in Kendari region.
- Sugarcane plantation in Kolaka, Kendari
and Muna region.
- Paddy field development
- Horticulture's development.
Investment opportunities in this field are:
- Shrimp aquaculture with potential of
- Pearl shell aquaculture.
- Seaweed, sea cucumber aquaculture with
a potential of 500 ha.
- Other coastal like lobster, living fish,
- Catching of tuna, skip jack, octopus,
C. Cattle Breeding
Presently, cattle from Southeast Sulawesi have been marketed to
Java and Irian Jaya. The development of cattle breeding at large
scale is possible because of the availability of extensive land
farming, and also enough animal feed naturally, and the possible
of waste of sugar factory and other agriculture industry.
Business opportunity is potential in industry plantation Forest
for pulp and paper, and furniture. Wood species of pulp and paper
are: Acacia mangium, Pinus merkuli, eucalyptus spp and Paraseriantes
falcataria. Whiles for furniture are: Tectona grandis (Teak Wood),
Swientenia mahagoni, pericopsis, Insia bijuga, etc.
In many, we could also develop
rattan and bamboo. The latter is potential for chopstick industry.
The possible total areas for forest plantation industrial are 438,000